The Hermitage of Camaldoli is located in Poppi (a fraction of Camaldoli in the province of Arezzo), it was founded by San Romualdo in the eleventh century.
Today it is the mother house of the Benedictine congregation of the Camaldolesi monks
The hermitage is located at an altitude of 1100 meters in the Casentinesi forests national park near Mount Falterona.
WHAT TO SEE IN THE HARBOR
The Hermitage is one of the two parts that make up the monastic community of Camaldoli, the other part is the monastery that however is located in the country.
The current church is dedicated to San Salvatore Trasfigurato and was built above the old chapel built by San Romualdo. The Church was consecrated in 1220 by one who would become Pope Gregory IX. The facade is very squared and sober very essential and with regular features. The interior is in sharp contrast with the exterior: After the low relief of the Madonna with the child, placed above the entrance, we find ourselves in front of the central aisle in perfect rococo sitle with gold leaf and many frescoes, worthy of note is that depicting the Holy Savior Transfigured, the work of Giovanozzi
THE CHAPEL OF SANT’ANTONIO ABATE
Inside this church there is a high ceramic relief that represents the virgin with the child and the saints.
SAN ROMUALDO’S CELL
It is the only cell that can be visited and represents the place where the saint lived his period as a hermit. All the other cells, where the monks are still living, are similar to this one.
The cell is the place where the monk spends most of his life as a hermit working, praying and studying. The structure of the small house is used to guarantee maximum functionality and maximum thermal efficiency (warm in winter and cool in summer). Each cell also has its own vegetable garden and garden. The cells of camaldoli are called saints. The cells are arranged on 5 rows that end with the Pope’s chapel